Keeping up with search engine optimization trends can be tricky, but if we look at the fundamentals, it’s clear that there are some SEO tips that a tried and true throughout the algorithm changes. SEO is all about visibility and getting your content in front of the desired audience. To achieve this, it’s important to focus on your website design and unique content. What else goes into effective SEO? Here are some tips:
SEO Tip #1: Web Analytics
You should have web analytics in place from the start, so you can monitor your traffic right away and make adjustments as needed. Google Analytics offers a free set up and it helps you monitor your site’s performance and make the most of your data.
Here are some Google Analytics strategies to help you measure your SEO.
SEO Tip #2: Meta description
The meta description is often overlooked, but it’s an integral component for SEO. How often do you read the description of an article or website before clicking the link? You want users to quickly and accurately understand what your content is about. Meta descriptions should:
- Use Keywords Wisely – Be sure to include your keywords in the meta description to increase the clickability.
- Length – Your meta description should be about 150 characters, spend some time making sure you’ve crafted a succinct description with that character limit.
- Do not duplicate – Avoid duplicating your meta description. It’s important that your meta description is unique and relevant.
SEO Tip #2: User experience
You may find that users are clicking into your website, but that is only the first step. You want to make sure you give users a great experience with your site, so they don’t immediately back click. Google is determined to put forward high quality content, and it does that with Rankbrain. Rankbrain is Google’s artificial intelligence system used to refine queries by sorting live search results to give users the best fit for their query. Learn more about how Rankbrain works here.
If users are clicking out of your site immediately, Rankbrain will recognize this and your site will lose ranking. The more time users spend on your site, the better ranking you receive, so you want to make sure you can engage the user right away with a great experience.
SEO Tip #3: Speed matters
If your website does not load right away (in about 3 seconds), you’re losing about 40% of users. Your website and content may be engaging and high quality, but if your website does not immediately load, you’re losing precious SEO. Here are a few ways to boost load times:
- Minimize HTTP Requests – Images and stylesheets take the longest to download, and an HTTP request is made for both of those and by reducing the number of those requests, your site will speed up.
- Server Response Time – You can reduce server response time, which is one of the biggest factors of webpage speed, by evaluating your DNS (domain name system). If the browser has a difficult time finding your DNS, it will take longer to load.
- Compression – Compress your files with Gzip, a software application that reduces the size of your files.
- Cache – Be sure to enable your browser cache, so the next time the same user clicks on your site, it will load faster because elements of our webpage are already stored.
SEO Tip #4: Don’t Overuse Keywords
It may seem like if you’re using the same keywords, Google should recognize your website for this and rank it higher. Unfortunately, this is not true. You may actually find yourself without any traffic if you are using the same keywords. Google marks your site as relevant by the amount of time a user spends on it. Focus on expanding your keywords so you can drive more traffic to your site.
SEO Tip #5: Use High Quality Links
If you use low quality or outdated links, users may get frustrated and deem your website untrustworthy. Check your links before publishing them and make sure the content they link to is relevant and updated. Spend time vetting your links and stick to credible sites. Google will reward you.
Chrome offers a link checker to help you avoid this concern.
SEO Tip #6: Content Consistency is Key
In order to get the most of your website and SEO, you should be consistently publishing unique content. For social media, there are many software applications to aid you in publishing content every day. On your website you can update information simply by adding “Updated for 2020” with any relevant updates you may add. The bottom line is, you won’t see any rank increase from inactivity.
SEO may seem intimidating at first, but the amount of software and tools available will surely help you become a master in no time. Don’t be afraid to play around with your formatting and meta descriptions until you see improvement and use a variety of keywords in your content to attract users to an engaging site. If you implement these SEO tips, you’re sure to see an increase in traffic, leads, and sales.